.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

My Favorite Place

Hey ya'll! Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I thought I would use today to catch up on one of the NaBloPoMo prompts.  I know the 15th was a few days ago but better late than never right?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Describe a favorite place. Focus on how that place affects your sense of taste, touch, sight, sound, or smell.

Growing up my favorite place always use to be my grandmothers kitchen table.  There are so many things I want to say about this place, memories I have, feelings it brings, but I really don't know if I can get it all out in any sort of way that even comes close to how great this place really ways growing up.

I remember walking in to her house and after hugs and kisses seeing the table and sunlight pouring in from her big back windows. I remember eating many bowls of oat meal, playing board games as a family, eating dinner on Christmas Eve, coloring when I was young, sitting under it playing with her dog, and just sitting there talking. That table was one of the places I love best. It was always a warm inviting place, with snacks and food, or a cold drink in the hot summer in one of her Charlie Brown cups, or a cup of hot chocolate in the winter, it was always a place where we all gathered, ate, gave thanks, and made memories.

I can clearly remember the poinsettia table cloth she used every winter, the oil lamp that set in the middle, the green china dishes with the holiday scene on them. I can still picture everyone around it so easily, and smell the turkey, mash potatoes, stuffing (without giblets), pumpkin pie, apple dumplings. I can still feel the bubbles from the sparkling grape juice my brother and I had every year until we were old enough for wine.  I remember the prayers and thanks that was given before each meal. I remember wrapping gifts, putting hooks on ornaments, studying, watching TV, and so much more at that table.

 I can see the praying hands on top of the TV, the family photos on the shelf between the dinning room and the living room, the picture of a praying man on the wall, the coffee grinder we use to love to turn as kids, the old style tiles on the kitchen floor, and so much more.  I can see it all so well that I almost feel like I could touch it.

Over all I would have to say that my grandmothers house as a whole is one of my favorite places.  I remember decorating the tree, seeing Santa every Christmas Eve, finding candy canes and $2 bills in our stockings hanging on the stairs, watching movies crammed together on the couch, playing out front/back in the snow, everyone rushing to use the one and only shower before Church, and the smoke detector going off from all the steam in the winter, and looking back it all makes me smile and miss it so much.

In my mind I had a ton of photos I wanted to share with you but I could only fine one for now.  Guess I need to work on organizing my files on my external hard drive this winter. 


Where your favorite place?

I could go on and on aboug grandma's and I could also list off a few other places that I love, but there is kind of some other stuff I need to do.  That box of Korea stuff is just about all washed and air dried....so now it is just about finding places to put it all!

No comments: