.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Fears & Worry = Useless Stress

So the weekend is over.......

And I had a great one and I can't wait to share all about it but first I want to ask you about your fears.

 I mean everyone has them right? Some people have fears of big things, small things, crazy things, normal things, things that don't exist, and all kinds of things.  Most people have reasons for why they have the fears they do, and then others don't.  Why do we have fears? Where do our fears come from? Do we ever really have to face most of our fears? Do we go out of our way to hid from our fears?

 Fear- "a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid." (From Dictionary.com)
 
So what are your fears?
 
I know some of my fears are crazy like my fear of fish, or dark water, or the dark, or snakes, or of looking old before I am old, and so on and so forth.
 
Then I know that I have fears of things like never having a good job, or never leaving my parents house, or never reaching my full potential.  Along with getting fat, or skin cancer, or always having adult acne.  These fears aren't so much crazy as they are maybe worries, useless worries. Worries I can somewhat control.  There are things I can do when it comes to all of these things to control them. 
 
Do your fears ever keep you from doing something?
 
I know my fear of snakes always makes me freak out when I am camping and have to go outside at night and can't see what is around my feet, almost to the point where I won't go outside at night when I am camping. 
 
I know my fear of fish kept me from being able to go scuba diving in South Korea.
 
I know my fear of never having a good job kind of keeps me from applying for jobs right now (well that and I have a job).  I think fear of rejection also comes in, and well I have seen a lot of rejection in the past year when it comes to jobs.
 
Anyways what is my point? Well this morning I got to hear something I really needed to hear at church.  I don't post about church often, it has never been something that I have been strong when it comes to talking about but today really stuck a cord with me. 
 
This morning he did a quick sermon on Psalms 27 and about how we have nothing to really fear or worry about.  (I am the queen of worry and I have been really bad about it lately to the point of driving myself and some of the people close to me crazy).  Here is what the Bible says if you're interested (or well part of what it says):
 
Psalm 27:
The LORD is my light and my salvation -- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life -- of whom shall I be afraid?
When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident.
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.
Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD.
 
I have a lot of fears, and a lot of worries.  It is hard not to worry but God knows about all my fears and all my worries. 
 
What does worrying really do? What does it fix? Nothing. 
 
So why waste my time with it?
 
If you are me it just leaves you stressed out, grumpy, and pushes all my loved ones to the "Megan is crazy and needs to take a chill pill" point, and even pushes some to not want to spend time with me. 
 
So goal for this week:
 
Worry Less, Pray More.
Pinned Image
 
Hope everyone had a great weekend and has a great Monday! 

 

No comments: