.

Monday, June 11, 2012

WILIMSC (What I Learned In Machine Shop Class)

Ok so I had planed to write about kid sitting Saturday but I was more or less a sloth this morning before work (and I had to go in early to get off early for class tonight) so that post is only 1/2 done. Don't worry though I swear it is nothing exciting really.

Anyways right now I am getting ready to head to my metal working/ machine shop class for work but before I do I wanted to share some of the things I learned last week.  On Tuesday I came into work with all kinds of bits of information I had retained here and there from the 2 1/2 hour class only to email the hell out of my tech guys, and they were nice enough to answer all of my questions and help me plug all the random information into the correct part of my brain and connect the dots. Really we have a great tech department that is always (well unless they are swampped with calls) willing to explain to my why things work like they do, or where to find them in the book, what they are used for, and so on and so forth.

So in a short random outline here is what I have learned so far (I had planed to add photos of what I was talking about but I am running kind of low on time so for now that will have to do):


Notes from Tuesday 6/5/12 

1.       5C (or C5) collet is on a lathe

a.       5C’s have the threads on the _____?______

b.      A 5C collet is used to hold small parts that you need to hold with precision.

2.       R8 is a type of spindle on a milling machine.

a.       R8’s have the threads on the _______?________

b.      A milling machine uses R8 spindles that hold R8 collets (or R8 end mill holders)

3.       A lathe dog is used to drive a shaft (item being held).

a.       The lathe dog attaches to the end of the item down near the dead center and is what movies it around.

b.      It is hook shaped.

c.       With a lathe dog you do not always need a dead/live center you can use just the 3 or 4 jaw chuck to hold the part (the lathe dog with move the part around)

4.       A live center has bearings

a.       Holds the place in part (it has a point and the part has a little hole in the center)

b.      Is not always as accurate as dead centers because they move (because of the bearings)

5.       A dead center do not have bearing

a.       A dead center needs coolant.

b.      Holds the place in part (it has a point and the part has a little hole in the center)

6.       Draw Bar-the bar that holds the collets/chucks in place

a.       Goes in the side on a lathe

b.      Goes in the top on a milling machine

7.       Arbor

a.       Goes on the chuck then goes up into the machine

8.       3 Jaw Chuck is cheaper but not as precise as a 4 Jaw chuck.

a.       These are the large chucks.

b.      Can be used on a lathe with a dead center and a lathe dog.

                                                               i.      Dead center goes into the chuck and the lathe dog goes on the part being held.

9.       Diamond dresser

a.       Used to dress a grinding wheel.

b.      Really had a small diamond in the tip.

c.       Dress- means to clean the wheel and take the debris off of it.

10.   A milling machine:

a.       Uses R8 collets/spindles

b.      Will also use a chuck with an arbor attached

                                                               i.      Once you attached the arbor you do NOT remove it.

11.   Collect and end mill holders:

a.       Will both hold end mills

b.       A collet will hold more than just end mills but it depends on the size

c.       End mill holders come in bigger sizes.


Yep and that is that for now! Wish me luck tonight I am hoping to learn a little more so tomorrow I can ask new questions and learn even more! I am also hoping to make progress on the hammer that we are making in this 10 week course (only 8 left after tonight!).

Sorry for this short brain dump! Hope you learned something!



No comments: