.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Movie Update

Wow! It looks like I haven’t posted about the movies I have been watching lately, so I guess tonight I could do a quick catch up before crashing out with a good book and some wine.

The Death Of A Saleman



I guess I should start with a movie Ryan and I watched...well I'm not sure but it couldn't be more than a few weeks ago now, could it?  Anyways when we were in Korea Ryan wanted to read The Death of A Salesman but we couldn’t find it for the kindle. Instead I think he ended up reading the Hangman’s Daughter (a good book but I don’t think I would like the movie too much) instead. I had never heard of the book or play but when I was in the library a few weeks ago and saw the DVD I was in for seeing what it was all about.  Most of the time Ryan picks pretty good movies/books.

Over all it was not a bad movie it was kind of like watching a play.  It was about a sales man, his family, the issues he had with his two sons, how he remembered life, and how he thought life really went.   Sadly in reality he was way off base and was cracking up.  It was really kind of a sad movie but made a good point about how corporate American used people to get ahead and then forgot about  them or treated them like crap.  I felt the pain the family felt when they were watching someone they loved slowly lose grip on reality and then pass away before his time. I even cried at the end.

If you like old plays that have been made into movies I would recommend this movie, however if you plays really are not your thing then I would pass.

Next up Ryan and I watched Bonnie And Clyde



I have never really cared much about Bonnie (who was really pretty) and Clyde (who was kind of a dream boat minus the whole bank robber thing) but we were watching Cajun Pawn Stars(pretty good show if you ask me or if you just like strange things) (we also love Hardcore Pawn) one night and they were talking about their car. Well, this kind of spiked my interest and led me to ask Ryan a ton of questions (you know because I think it’s his job to know everything). So yet again I was at the library and decided to see if they had any good old movies and BAMB Bonnie and Clyde jump off the self and into my hands...well not really but it was pretty great to just find it chilling out, I mean I didn't even know they ever made a movie.

When it comes to this movie I would have to say that it was really good.  It was action packed, it had love, it had drama and even if you don’t really know jack squat about Bonnie And Clyde it is still pretty good.  It is also based on the true story so you even get to learn something as you watch it, I don’t know about you but for me that is always an added bonus!

The Saturday (or well Friday if you were really that crazy) that Breaking Dawn came out Ryan put a hold on it and picked it up from Redbox as a surprise for me. 



Over all this one was not my favorite. I still have to stick by team Jacob only because he doesn't have to kill her to be with her but you know to each their own.  I am looking forward to seeing the last movie but really all the hype around this book/movie is way beyond crazy.  I read the books the first few months I was visiting Ryan in Korea because it was too cold to go outside or really do anything and they were pretty good.  I just this last movie I don't know left me looking for something more.  I really didn't like her wedding dress, I may or may not have cried at the thought of having to say good bye to everyone (well besides your husband and his family), food, sleep and so much more.  I mean I love Ryan but I also love food and I think he feels the same.  I also thought it was sick towards the end when they showed her being sick, like really almost alian sick.  Anyways enough about that I am happy I got to see it, but even more so that I only had to pay a dollar to see it.

And last but not least last Friday Ryan and I decided to rent The Rum Diaries.



Neither of us really knew much about it but it popped up on Redbox as a new movie so we placed a hold on it and went out to pick it up.  Before we left to go pick it up we decided to check out the trailer to see what it was about (hey better late than never right? I mean what if it turned out to be something we could care less about? Better to know before we drive over there to pick it up).  So it seemed somewhat action packed, took place in a tropical setting, and had to do with Rum so Ryan was in.  I on the other hand was in as soon as he said Johnny Depp was in it; however I won’t lie in this movie he almost plays a normal person, as in it took me a few minutes to realize who he was. I have never been crazy about Mr. Depp in the stalker, think he is hot, teenage crush sort of way, I really do just think he always does one hell of a job with all the rolls he gets and always leaves me thinking “wow he out did himself again” (but maybe not in this movie)

So in case you don't know what the movie is about let me do a quick rundown. It is based on a true story about a man who moves to Porto Rico to write for a failing paper down there.  He may or may not of had a drinking problem it really depends on who you ask.  Everyone in the movie seems to drink....like ALL the time.  It has it's funny parts, it has some romance parts were you think that maybe it is going to be a love story, and then it has its moments when you’re just thinking what in the world is going on here?  I liked it, it did leave me a little confused at times but for a dollar and a little bit of cuddle time with Ryan it was a good choice, even more so because it wasn't a chick flick or a mocho man movie.   

As far as TV goes we really don’t watch that much.  Some days we will have a lazy Saturday and just kind of veg out in front of the I.D. channel for a bit.  We keep up with The Biggest Loser, The Jersey Shore, and Dance Moms, and Desperate Housewives most weeks. Sometimes Lizard Lick Towing, Hardcore Pawn, or something else on True TV.  Most weeks I will watch Pretty Little Liars and Jane By Design on demand and some days I’ll tune in to Rachel Ray to see what she is cooking, or watch What Not To Wear reruns when I am on the elliptical/treadmill at the gym. And then because I hate to just have silence sometimes when I am working on other things I will have Law And Order or Real House Wives of some town with over priced houses on in the back ground.  Really that sounds like a lot but most of the time we miss things we say we are going to watch and just end up skipping it for the week.   

A new show Ryan and I have been watching is My 600 Pound Life.



*Warning I have strong opinions and may offend someone*

Ryan and I have also gotten sucked in to the TLC show My 600 Pound Life.  I really wish I could tell you why I like to watch over weight people try to take control of their life and try to lose weight.  I guess it is just to see if they can do it or not.  I really don’t know how I feel about the show, I have mixed feelings and just get upset with it sometimes.

I don't know if you watch the show or not but some of the people have been able to lose the weight and keep it off where as others not so much.  They have  a bypass and get one of those bands put on their stomachs to make it smaller and to hopefully help hem lose weight. Then the show fallows them for the next 7 years. 

I guess one of the things that upsets me is that I don't understand how the people on the show seem to think it is going to be magic. It’s almost like they think “Hey, I had the surgery now I can eat whatever I want, keep laying around all day, and the weight is just going to fall off.” Really it took you how long to put it on?  You can’t just wish away the weight and I hate that they think they can just almost cheat and get a bypass.  T It is almost like “Hey, I know I got lazy and spent years just treating my body like a trash can but now I want to fix it without all the hard work those people have to do on the Biggest Loser”.

SOME of the people try to work out and do the right things. One of the women worked out too hard and ate too little and ended up in the hospital.  I have to give her credit she kept the weight off and now works sharing her story at the weight center.  There was also a guy who lost some weight, then started going out dancing, drinking, and even doing drugs again and ended up in a coma (not because of the drugs they said it was due to a virus or something but really your trying to get healthy so you’re going to do drugs?).  After he got out of the coma he ended up in a wheel chair and had to go to therapy but instead of really working hard at therapy he just sat at home. His mom gave him Taco Bell because he was so skinny and he slowly gained just about all of the weight back and got mad when the doctor told him he needed to lose weight. 

I could go on and on about this show but really it does make me want to work extra hard to stay healthy.  I am not the thinnest person, I am not the fittest person, but I am trying to be the best I can. I just really want to know how you get to that weight and just not care.  I also get mad when everyone wants to blame it on someone else. Really take responsibility for your choices and actions. No one shoved the food in your mouth or forced you to sit on the couch all day. 

In the end your life is your life.  You are the only one who can make choices for you and control your life.  I know some people have different things that affect them and different situations like thyroid problems.  And I guess at least the people on this show at least tried to take control of their life by having the surgery I just don’t understand why some of them stopped there.  

Sorry let me step down off my soap box and get my opinions back in check.

 Ok well now it's time to catch up with that book and wine I was talking about!

I hope everyone is having a great week!

 



1 comment:

AiringMyLaundry said...

You've been watching some interesting things.

I also saw Breaking Dawn. I didn't like it much. Edward creeps me out.