Pizza....OK well maybe not everyone but everyone in this house hold does and that is why mom has gone out of the way yet again to find a healthy solution for us all to enjoy.
So today I want to share two of my favorite pizza's with you.
Lets start with the whole wheat pizza dough that mom found in the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook book Celebrating the Promise Limited Edition (I know that's quite a mouthful).
You will need:
-2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour (mom makes it half wheat flower and half all-purpose flour)
-1 package active dry yeast
-1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons cooking oil or olive oil
1. In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, and salt; add warm water and oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes total). Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Use to make Thin-Crust pizzas, Pan Pizzas, Mini Pizzas, or Calzones.
We like Thin-Crust:
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Grease two 12-inch pizza pans or large baking sheets. (We use a baking stone). On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough half into a 13-inch chicle. Transfer dough circles to prepared pans. Build up edges slightly; prick dough with a fork. Do not let rise.
3. Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown.
4. Spread pizza sauce onto hot crust and top with desired toppings.
5. Bake about 10 minutes more or until bubbly.
For the Greek pizza, one of my favorites, we used:
-Pesto for the base.
-Onions, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and roasted peppers (that had been heated in a frying pan and heat on medium)
For the pepperoni we used:
-Bertolli Arrabbiata Spicy Tomato and Red Pepper sauce for the base.
-Mushrooms, Pepperoni, Mozzarella, and Basil
-Three Cheese (Parmesan, Romano, Asiago)
Hope everyone had a great week! I am about to attempt to make some pretzels for a nice Friday night snack for us to enjoy as we watch some movies. I will let you know how they go!