.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Eureka! We Got It!

Wow so I was about to type this past weekend but sadly it is already Thursday and not just the Thursday after but the Thursday after, after (humm I don't know if that is right but that is how my Korean kids would of said it)the weekend when mom and I attempted to make Kimchi Stew once again.  As before I didn't really feel the need to use a recipe because every place I had eaten it in Korea had a different taste and it was never the same so I figured why not take what I know I like from all those places and make it into a Kimchi Stew I'll like?  Well if you read my blog you know the first time I made it at home it was lets just say a little spicy; however everyone that had sinus problems no longer had them at the end of dinner! So this time I knew I needed to ton it down just a little and I think we found a recipe that works and for bonus points I even wrote it down! Now please take note that I am not a cook nor do I know how to write a recipe so if you have any questions please ask and I will try to explain what I mean. 

Here it is:
  • Caramelize 5 cups of Kimchi (I just did this in the bottom of my big stock pot on low until some of the juices were cooked out and it was a little crunchy)
    • *If possible find a Korean store or market where they make it fresh
  • 4 Cucumbers sliced in little circles
  • 1 1/2 cups of carrots chopped
  • Thinly sliced garlic (however much you like)
  • 7 Cups of water (I make a big batch and that is with little liquid when it is all said and done)
  • 1 table spoon of beef broth (Korean if you can find it because of the added spices they use)
  • 3 Large green chillies (If you do not like hot foods leave these out)
  • 1 Table spoon of sugar
  • 2 Table spoons of hot red pepper flakes (not the same as the normal red pepper flakes)
  • 5 Table spoons of red pepper paste (Gochujang) 
    • *This is hard to find and can most likely only find it at a Korean or Asian market. 
  • Bring this to a boil and then cover and let simmer.  If you are in a time crunch it only has to simmer about 30 minutes but as with most things the flavors grow as it simmers.
  • About an hour before your ready to serve add in:
    •  2 packs of Enoki Mushrooms (if you cannot find any type of mushroom will almost work)
    • 2 packs of cubed super firm tofu.
 Serve over rice or soy bean sprouts. 


Not the best photo but it gives you an idea.

In other good news I also found a Galbi Marinade that everyone liked. 

  • 1 1/2 cups Soy Sauce
    • I don't love soy sauce so I used 1 cup of soy sauce and 1/2 a cup of water instead
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup sesame oil
  • 5 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1/2 of a medium yellow onion chopped
  • 3 large green onions cute into small pieces
  • 2 table spoons toasted sesame seeds
  • 1/2 tea spoon red pepper flakes
    • For the most part we all like things hot in this house so I used 1 table spoon
  • 4-6 pounds of Korean Short-Ribs
    • Our Korean marked didn't have this due to the increase in price so we just used some flank stake from Costco and cut it into thin strips
  • Mix marinade and pour over meat
  • Refrigerate over night
    • Sadly I didn't find this marinade recipe till that last minute so if you are short on time 4 or 5 hours will also work well
  • Heat grill to medium-heat
  • Cook each side 3-4 minutes



Ok guys this meal was amazing! It is not quite the same as eating it in a parking lot out side of our apartment with a few good friends laughing and drinking the night away but it is pretty darn close! 

Also for those of you who asked about the cheese I mentioned in my one blog about German food that my brother and mom made us it is called Halloumi and it is amazing when cooked on a grill!

Well, I still have a ton left I want to blog about but for now this will have to be it.  So until next time thank you for reading, I would love to hear your thoughts, and I hope everyone is having a great week!

1 comment:

Chas said...

WOW! That looks really good!!
Good job!!