.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

June Books

Wow! So am I the only one that is a little shocked that it is already July 2nd?  Really I don't know where the time is going, but I am extremely happy that I am getting to spend it with my amazing family. 

Anyways lets get to the point BOOKS! So I didn't get to read as much as I wanted to this month but I still think I did pretty good.

Let's see where to start where to start? 

Oh I finally finished The Hangman's Daughter! Don't get me wrong when I say finally but really that book took me forever and I have no clue why.
The Hangman's Daughter

There once was a hangman who had a big heart for humanity and wanted to save a midwife from a misunderstanding. There also was a physician who loved this said hangman’s daughter and wanted to also help this said midwife. A friendship forms and off they go to solve the crime, save some kids, and live happily ever after! Well, there is really so much more than that to the story like a man with a hand of bones, a witch, and treasure.

For some reason this book took me forever to get through and just seemed to drag at some points. Please don't get me wrong I loved the plot and the history they had in it but sometimes it just seemed to go in a big circle. It is a little gory so if you really don't like blood and guts I would pass on this one, I mean it starts with a woman being beheaded and her head slips so they have to strike her 3 more times. If you like murder mystery books then you might want to give this one a try. I may or may not check and see if the author has written any more books that have been translated into English.

Next I moved on to a light hearted book.
Can You Keep a Secret?
You think your life is a mess?  You think you have a cruddy job with cruddy coworkers?  Emma has the same problems only maybe in a more humors way going on in her life. This was a cute book that I found myself laughing just about all the way through, sometimes I just wish there was a little more something to the book.  This was a quick summer read and I think I might enjoy reading more of her books this summer. 

After that light hearted read I thought I might move on to something.....well with a little more depth so I moved on to this book:
The Pilot's Wife: A Novel Tag: Author of the Weight of Water
This book was good, it started a little slow but once I got into it I didn’t want to put it down.  Without giving to much away I'll just say that it starts off with her husband, a pilot, going down with his plain.  This story is about the changes that the wife and her daughter go through, and all the information they find out along the way.  I want to say so much more about this book but at the same time I don't want to give anything away.  I look forward to reading more books by Anita Shreve.

And then there was that one random book that I read.  Well Ryan wanted to read it because he once worked at a Wonderland and wanted to see what all the fuss was about.  I don't think either of us really liked it but anyways here it is:


After spending a year in Korea teaching I thought I would read this book and see what the big fuss was.  This book does talk about some of the things that can happen when you go over to Korea without doing all your research first but at the same time this book was a lot of complaints about things that most ESL’s go through or things that others were faced with and just left.  There are things that you can do in Korea when some of these types of problems come up.  Anyways unless you are thinking about going to Korea to teach (in which case this book is a good read for what to look out for) I wouldn’t bother to read this book.

And well that is that I finished a book, read two other full size books, and then one little short story. 

I have many books on my "to read" list now that I am home and have access to the library.  Sadly I thought I could download books to my Kindle but sadly the Kindle does not work with the way the library downloads the PDF files.  Oh well life happens I guess I'll just be reading a lot of "real" books this summer.

What are you reading?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and is getting lots of reading in this summer!  Reading was always one of my favorite things about summer!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I meant to check yours out the last time you comment but what can I say?

I've read all of the Sophie Kinsella books. I like them because they are easy reading and not boring.

Currently, I'm reading a Jen Lancaster book.

Megan said...

Thanks for the author! I love finding new stuff to read. Haha I know that feeling, my poor blog has taken a seat way in the back of the bus now that I am home along with reading others.