Monday, October 25, 2010

Thursday- "Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun"

Thursday September 22nd

I can't think of a time right now that I have ever been so happy to wake up to see the sun shining brightly and not a cloud in the sky as I was after the past few days of rain and floods. After the long day we had Wednesday we thought it best to sleep in, have a few extra cups of coffee and have a relaxing morning and meet up at 10. We had a fun day planned that started with taking my parents to Namdaemun Market, then making our way down to City Hall and on to the Gyeongbokgung Palace (The Queens Palace). We then hoped to have lunch and make our way to the Deoksu Palace stopping at the Cheonggyecheon Stream on the way.

So now that you know the plan think back to our week at hand already, and ask yourself, "did this day go as planned?"  If you said anything along the lines of no or I doubt it, you would be right!  Here is how the day went instead:

We met up with mom and dad in the lobby at 10 and start off towards the market.  The market was nice and quite even kind of eerie because it is never quite.  We wondered around for a bit and did a little shopping.  After a bit we headed down towards the palace stopping at City Hall for some pictures before starting the hunt for lunch.  Ryan and I were both shocked to see the place we had been hoping to go for lunch had shut down and well just about every other place seemed to be closed.  We finally ended up at a bakery that did pastries, pastas, pizzas, and stakes that was really good.  Once full we made our way down the main path towards Gyeongbokgung Palace only to find the street extremely crowed and the palace even more crowed.  They were just getting ready to start the changing of the guards and were pushing people back to the sides.  We got a spot and watched what seemed like a very colorful parade. 

Once they were done dad and Ryan started over towards the ticket line only to find out it was nice and long.  We deiced to call it quits and try again Friday in hopes that it wouldn't be so busy and instead head back to the Hilton and catch a cab over to Itawon and exchange mom's bracelet.  On the way back to the Hilton we decided to introduce mom and dad to some Korean mix vodka drinks for the walk back. Once back in Itawon we wandered around a bit in and out of shops and made our way down to the Hamilton Mall only to find it closed.  So it looked like it would be just one more thing to add to the list of places to revisit Friday.

With time to kill on a bright sunny day mom and I started off on our purse hunt once again!  This time we had much better luck and after only an hour or so we both had found what we were looking for.  We now headed over to Helios Bar and Grill for a nice dinner.  As we once again laughed, drank beer, and enjoyed great company I couldn't help but feel like life doesn't get much better. 

After dinner we walked around a little longer, stopping to pick up some shirts for dad and Chris before catching a taxi back to the Hilton to enjoy some beers and ice cream on the back deck.  A great end to yet again another great day.  Sadly it just felt as if the week was going by way to fast!


1 comment:

Chas said...

Sounds like a good day! We have the same problem here with the stores and restaurants closing at weird times. They also close early or they are never open. But, I'm glad that you guys were able to shop and find a nice place to eat. I'm glad you had a good time.